Search
Close this search box.
Search
Close this search box.

PBBM swears in Nartatez as new PNP chief

President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. on Wednesday formally administered the oath of office to Gen. Jose Melencio Nartatez Jr. as the new chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) during a ceremony at Malacañan Palace.

The event included the donning of Nartatez’s four-star rank, officially marking his assumption of the PNP’s highest post.

In a press briefing, Palace Press Officer Claire Castro said President Marcos expressed confidence in Nartatez’s ability to lead the country’s police force.

“Nagpaabot ng pagbati at suporta ang Pangulo kay General Nartatez para sa kaniyang husay sa pamumuno sa hanay ng kapulisan,” Castro said, adding that the President also recognized the vital role of the police in maintaining peace and security nationwide.

Nartatez has been serving as acting PNP chief since August 2025 following the relief of his predecessor, Gen. Nicolas Torre III, amid issues related to the reorganization of the police force. Torre officially retired on Dec. 26, 2024, paving the way for Nartatez to assume the four-star rank and the full-fledged role of PNP chief.

A member of the PNP Special Action Force early in his career, Nartatez later held various investigative and command assignments. He served as director of the PNP Finance Service from 2020 to 2022 and previously led police units in Ilocos Norte, Calabarzon, and the National Capital Region Police Office.

Before his appointment as PNP chief, Nartatez held the position of Deputy Chief for Administration, the second-highest post in the national police organization.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *